Sep 28, 2014

Merhaba, Everybody!

After several requests from family and friends, I’ve decided to get a blog up and running.  I really enjoyed writing in Korea, but never took the time to have a blog in Turkey...until now.  First, I’ll give a quick rundown of what I’m doing here.

I work for a software company based in Istanbul, which is run by my good friends.  The company makes a variety of games and applications.  Last year, my friends were approached by a company to make an Istanbul city guide application.  They knew it was a great opportunity, but didn’t have anyone to visit and write about all of the attractions.  Enter:  ME

On the job last year and very sweaty at Rüstem Pasha Mosque 


Once I finished my teaching contract in Yalova, I moved across the Sea of Marmara to Istanbul.  For my new job, I got to visit all of the tourist locations in the city: mosques, museums, bazaars, parks, churches, aquariums, and everything in between. Then I would spend every other day in the office researching and writing about them.  

Yes, I realize how ridiculously lucky I am.  It was an incredible experience and also a lot of work.  I was lost and sweaty 100% of the time that I was out in the field, but it was wonderful.


Here are some of the brochures from the many amazing attractions I visited.


After I finished writing the content for the app, I spent about six months in America visiting loved ones, wearing only sweatpants, and watching absolutely everything Netflix has to offer.  I’ve been back in Istanbul since May and my responsibilities at work have expanded considerably.  I now have the fancy title of Product Owner.  When my bosses first informed me of my promotion, this is how I saw myself starting every morning...




While I can't complain about my salary, my new title does not mean that I dive into a pit of money every day.  However, I am paid in cash, so every payday, I go into my bedroom, close the door, draw the curtains, and 'make it rain' over my bed several times.  It's amazing.

Anyway, as product owner, my duties include maintaining and updating content, managing social media accounts to promote the application, writing about upcoming events in Istanbul, and working with my coworkers to improve the UX and UI in the app.  I still visit new attractions occasionally, but I spend most of my time in the office.  There’s been a huge learning curve, but my bosses and coworkers are very patient and helpful.


You know you’ve made it when you get a second monitor at work.


I live and work in the Kadıköy district on the Asian side of Istanbul and, in my opinion, it’s the loveliest area in the whole city.  I promise there will be multiple posts in the future about how wonderful it is.  


This is the Haydarpaşa Train Station, one of the landmarks in Kadıköy, as seen from a Bosphorus ferry.

I share an apartment with my friend and coworker Erkin, which is literally a 30 second walk from the office.  Basically, I can never claim that I'm stuck in traffic.  (Don't worry, Mom.  There will be a home tour soon.) 


This is my bedroom earlier this summer.  The basil plant is no longer with us.
(Awesome poster, courtesy of my grandparents' National Geographic collection!)

So that’s my introduction for now.  I’ll do my best to update often, but I have a very demanding schedule of eating peanut butter and watching YouTube videos, so keep your expectations low. 



Here is a recent picture of me sitting in a very unnatural position at the park near my house.  

P.S. I know the blog layout is minimal at the moment, but I've got something in the works with a brilliant graphic designer, named KATE ALBER. Get ready, party people!

No comments:

Post a Comment